For London Spectacle - First meeting and some more.

29/02/12 and the weekend  Assessments were finally over. It had been a very long week filled with sleepless nights spent working. It was still not time for a break, though! On to the next project! We had our first meeting as a group today (Temi, David B, and me) for the Moving Poster Project and we all spoke about what ideas we had about the poster. What kind of dance was she doing, what is the scene like? The ambience is dark, and the girl has two spotlights on her with the attention mostly moving upwards on her pink rosy cheeks because of that, the red dots on the back of her dress and hands because of the pink tone on the fingertips. The limited colors make it so interesting.

Since we just had to make the poster "move" it was a kind of given for all of us that we just wanted to make the girl dance. It was on to deciding how we wanted to make the dancer move. I suggested having the her dance from a long shot and then have her come dance closer to the camera while having the camera zoom in a little at the same time. Then there could be black squares coming in in the end after she makes her final pose to frame the poster pose. It would then dissolve into the poster as we know it. Something like :

Then David did the storyboards for this. Check out the storyboards here http://bromfieldcsm.myblog.arts.ac.uk/2012/03/04/for-london-spectacle-storyboards/

Initially, looking at the art style of the poster, doing it in 2d (Hand drawn or on Flash) seemed appropriate, but then there came the consideration that everyone in the group was specialising in 3d.David thought of building a model and rigging it, but then we all came to the conclusion that there simply wasn't enough time for that.

Then I suggested trying to put a dress on the Morpheus rig, and started exploring the ways to do that. We asked Darryl (our 3d tutor), and he pointed us to a few videos about customizing Morphy. They were helpful, but there was a problem, as we wouldn't be able to add controls for follow through on the dress itself. Then we decided on putting a tutu on the dancer, something that wouldn't require much flow or follow through. David modelled the tutu and the bow and parented it to the controls on Morphy. This is what it looks like now.

Not too bad at all! The choir in the background we decided to keep as silhouettes for a stronger focus on the dancer herself. With the this as well, we thought it might be a good idea to do it in 2d and composite it in Adobe After Effects, but then it turned out that Temi would do it in Maya and render out each character to be composited in After Effects later!