Tasters.

Samples from the lit and rendered scenes. The ones that are finished that is. The lighting was a bit of pain but I think I am satisfied with them, it is the kind of look I wanted for the movie. I like the chandelier on the top, it adds a nice ambience to the scene. Gave the bulbs and the bulb shades on the chandelier some nice yellow light and glow but obviously its not enough to light the whole scene. So placed a big yellow spotlight over the chandelier so it appears like the scene is actually lit by it. Added about three directional lights for fill and back lighting. Also added a window light which was emitting a sort of purple/bluish so that the yellow didn't become over powering. I was kind of hoping that this light setup would work for the whole movie but alas! If only it was that simple, lighting wouldn't be a separate profession! Turns out that the same setup that looks perfect from one angle looks completely different from another. So had to change lights and make textures lighter/darker according to shot. Have about 17 shots in the whole movie, individually lighting all of them. Still in the process of course.

Rendering is taking a lot of time. My movie, about 90 seconds long, has about 2300 frames to render. Thankfully, I have a friend whose laptop I can use to render while I work. Big relief.

In this close up shot, I've used one spotlight over the picture emitting yellow light, as I didn't want a lot of focus on anything else, and one blue/mauve directional light to balance out the yellow.

The morning shot was quite tough I think because it was hard to get an exact feel of daylight through a window and at the same time maintaining balance between contrasts so certain areas don't become darker than others. Tried using Maya's environmental lighting but that made the rendering quite slow and heavy. One frame at 3 minutes. No way I would finish stuff by deadline at that speed! So settled for something less detailed. Maybe I will re-render the last shot after assessments.